For the past 2 years, Ratty has taken the month of January off from drinking, a way to detox after the holidays and to start the new year off on a good foot. Last year, it was actually my idea, and I roped Ratty into doing it with me. He stuck with it for the entire 4 weeks, while I backed out around the 2.5 week mark. To celebrate Ratty's re-entering the world of imbibing, we went to his favorite restaurant Eastern Standard. My mom had given him a gift certificate there for Christmas, so it was the perfect excuse to use it - as if we ever really need an excuse for anything. Except for maybe going to the gym, I am really great at coming up with excuses for not going to the gym.
Anywho, February 4th was a Friday, and I had 'Ratty is back OFF the wagon!' written in my planner. We decided to go to Eastern Standard after work, get a seat at the bar, have some cocktails, and then settle into a booth for dinner. I knew exactly what I was getting, an Old Cuban which is described as an 'evocative mix of rum, lime, mint & bubbles'. It is nothing like a mojito, I don't even like mojitos, but I love Old Cubans. They aren't muddled, there is no pulp, it is just yummy goodness.
Ratty got a Vesper, which was made famous by James Bond movies, and is a mix of Vodka and Lillet (among other things I'm sure). When I googled it the recipes called for vodka and gin, which seems like an awful lot of booze for one drink, no? And for me to say that means it really must be too much!
We started off with shrimp cocktail, my absolute fave.
Followed by arancini with a pesto dipping sauce.
For dinner I got brown butter gnocchi with lobster. The lobster was amazing, shocker, but the gnocchi were heavy and almost burnt tasting. They were really dense, not light and fluffy like other gnocchi I've had. I did my best to clean my plate, but once the lobster was gone, so was my motivation.
Regardless of how disgustingly full I was, practically falling asleep at the table full, I HAD to order Eastern Standards Butterscotch Bread Pudding. It is delicious and gooey and warm and crunchy and topped with salted caramel ice cream. I love it so much, I lose all will power when it comes to this thing. I've even gone as far as ordering one at dinner and then ordering one to go. I've eaten one from a take out box while driving one handed to a WEDDING. Yea, no will power might be an understatement.
{Ratty and I fighting over one of the last bites. Seriously delicious!}
Pretty fantastic way to welcome Ratty back into the world of imbibers. Thanks Mom for the gift certificate!









That seems like imbibing at its best!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow that dessert looks amazing!
ReplyDelete