101 in 1001 Challenge

Thursday, June 9, 2011

76. Learn to Fire a Gun.


A few months ago, I headed up to New Hampshire for the weekend with some of my cousins, and was given the amazing, un-pass-upable opportunity to learn how to fire a gun.  YES!  Miss City Girl actually went deep into the woods and fired not one, but TWO different types of guns [cue the roaring applause].  We were all staying at my cousin Billy's in-laws' which is on a remote mountain in Sugar Hill, a small town/area within Franconia, WAY up in the White Mountains.  I mean, who doesn't think of guns when they think of New Hampshire?!  Their motto IS Live Free or Die after all.

Here’s how it all started.  My cousin Timmy knows a few things about guns and would probably use some time during the weekend to do a little target practice in the middle of nowhere.  He had plans with is brother and father to go out shooting on Saturday, and I was secretly holding out hope that I’d be able to go with them.  I had no idea what shooting entailed.  Do we pack a bag?  How long are we gone for?  Where do we go?  Do I need to bring a snack?  Are we gone for the whole day or is it like, an hour?  I had absolutely no idea how involved this would be, but all I knew was that I wanted in.

Since we were there for the weekend, I was hoping that there would be a few opportunities to go, since I’d made plans for Saturday afternoon with my mom to take Sue and Ratty to our favorite haunts around Franconia.  I mean, there aren't many, so it wouldn't take long, but who wants to rush?  I pretty much assumed it wouldn't work into our schedule, but I secretly hoped another opportunity would arise over the course of the weekend.

I got home too late on Saturday to go with them, as expected, but talked with Timmy about the possibility of going on Sunday before people headed home.  I explained to him that it was a part of my 101 list and he immediately was like ‘we HAVE to do it!’.  He asked that why, of all things, I wanted to learn how to fire a gun and I told him it was simple – if ever in a struggle with someone with a gun and it slides across the room, I want to get their first and know how to use it.  No seriously, that’s why I wanted to learn.  I’ve watched perhaps one too many Lifetime movies in my life and am convinced that someday I will get into a violent struggle with someone holding a gun [whyy I have no idea].  I know there’s a safety that you need to release before you can fire, and I wanted to make sure I know the basics – just in case.  I mean, wouldn't it be awful to get the gun and then not be able to fire it?  That would be a complete and utter fail.  This is the same reason why I want to know how to hot wire a car, because if I’m ever being chased I want to know how to steal a car and get away.  This all makes perfect sense to me, and honestly Timmy was right on board.  He was like, ‘Yea!  What if you get the gun and you don’t know how to shoot it?’  And I was all like ‘EXACTLY!’  He gets it, we’re family.

Sunday came and people started packing up, cleaning and getting ready to head home.  I started to think that my window of opportunity had passed, considering Timmy’s wife was sitting in the kitchen with her jacket on, ready to leave.  It had been a long yet awesome weekend, so I don't blame her.  He mentioned that he’d like to wait for his dad and brother to get back from dropping the trash off at the dump before leaving, which left us with about 30-45 minutes of free time.  Tim asked if me and Sue wanted to go shoot right then and there, and we grabbed our jackets and ran out the door.  Although, we did run back inside so we could get our beers.  I mean, doesn't everyone drink beers at 1pm on a Sunday right before they go shoot shotguns?!  I asked Ratty if he wanted to come, to which he said 'absolutely not'.  Oh well, his loss!

The house we were staying at was way up a hill, so there was lots of property around the house.  We drove all the supplies down the driveway until we came to a clearing at the base of the hill, where we helped Timmy unload all the stuff and carry it to the spot.  And by 'helped' I mean I took photos the entire time and carried nothing. 

 

This is no joke, we were going to do it right, targets and all.


Seriously intense, but SO exciting!


Timmy set up the target a good ways away from our shooting spot.  I sound so professional in this, 'a good ways away' and 'shooting spot', I wish I knew how many feet or yards it was, but all I know was that it was far away, okay?


There was a tackle boxed filled with almost everything you could imagine, different types of bullets for all his guns, cleaning cloths, ear plugs and whatever else you might need.  Again, I sound like such an expert.


He showed us how to load the clip, release the safety and pull the barrel to load the bullet into the chamber [k, I may have had to google for the exact verbiage on that last step.]  After he showed us, he gave me the chance to try it.  Sue, knowing the importance of pictures for my blog, acted as the photographer.


Bullets.  Check.


Bullets in the gun.  Check.


Pull that top part back just like Timmy told me too.  Check.


I'M READY!  

Safety first people, always wear ear plugs and protective eye wear.  Yes, ski goggles count, Timmy said so.


A few last lessons before I try it out.  Tim showed me how to line up the shot through the grooves on the top of the gun.  This would prove moot due to the fact that no matter where I thought the bullet was going, it ended up no where near my intended target.  Like in the snow.  Or a tree.



Taking my first shot!  I was not prepared for the loudness.  Even with the ear plugs, it cut right through me.  Just holding the gun made me so anxious.  One wrong move would not be good for anyone.  Tensions were high, I repeat, high.


Aw look how cute I am, thinking I might have actually hit the target.  I didn't.


Big round of applause to Sue who took this picture - IT IS THE BEST EVER!  I have no idea how she was able to catch the shell casing in the shot, since everything happened so fast, but she did and it's AMAZING!  Thank you Sue!


Next Tim took a couple quick shots and honestly looked like a pro.  He looked a little TOO good at shooting, dontcha think?  We joked that he played the part of a bank robber too convincingly.  We joke because we love.


Next up was Sue.  Check out her form.  She'd fire the gun and would literally try so hard to get far away from it while still holding it - so hilarious.


Then she pretended she was a Charlie's Angel and tried to blow the imaginary smoke off the barrel.  I had to remind her that it was still a real live loaded gun.  I did so by screaming hysterically 'AWAY FROM THE FACE!  AWAY FROM THE FACE!'

Next up was the 12 gauge shotgun.  I'd be lying if I said this thing didn't absolutely terrify me.  Like, legit had me shaking in my Ugg boots.  


The kickback was so hard it hurt my shoulder.  Tim thankfully warned us that we had to keep our face away from the handle or else the kickback would break out jaw.  No pressure or anything.


There were bird pellet bullets in the shotgun, meaning that when we fired, millions of little metal pellets flew everywhere.  I hit the target MULTIPLE times with this technique, but it scared me more because I feared getting hit with a stray pellet, which was physically impossible.  I doubt that spray could kill a person, but that would REALLY hurt.  Like a lot.  Like enough to make you wish you were dead.

Yay!  Checking 76 off my list!  Thank you to Timmy and Sue who helped me complete it!  It was everything I ever dreamed of and more.  I am ready for my Lifetime movie scenario now!


Seriously Sue, we have to work on your form.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! I need to have some sort of gun safety class and shoot considering my husband has guns in the house! You look like a pro Amy. Cousin Sue definitely needs some form work haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the men in my family are big into shooting and guns. As my father's only child I think he was hoping I would follow in his footsteps. I spent a couple of days at the shooting range with my dad but quickly got tired and decided to focus on things like TV and books instead. :)

    You did awesome! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete