101 in 1001 Challenge

Thursday, June 16, 2011

62. January 26th, 2011 Picture.

Wednesday night Ratty and I had plans after work to attend a Style Boston party at the Taj Hotel downtown.  I've attended a few Style Boston parties, and blogged about them on here, most recently the Fashion Show at the Liberty Hotel.  This time around, they were celebrating the fact that the show moved from NECN to Channel 5 and was renewed for another season.  

These parties are always top notch.  They have lots of sponsors, so typically the food, booze and entertainment are pretty great.  I was looking forward to it, aside from the huge impending snow storm that was coming our way.  The party started right in the throws of the blizzard, which caused me to leave my wet Uggs on for the entire party.  There was no way I was going to try and walk in the crazy snow in a pair of heels, I voted for safety, comfort and sheer practicality on this one!  But of course, everyone was decked out to the 9s which made me feel slightly out of place no matter how rational I was.

There were two fantastic DJs who pretty much battled all night, playing the best songs ever.  Ratty was in absolute awe at the mash-ups and mixes they put together.  The music was hands down the best part of the event.

The party was also sponsored by Patron, who handled most of the alcohol.  Thankfully there were a few other options as I am not a fan of tequila.  It goes back to one fateful night in college, tequila and I got in a fight and neither one is waving the white flag.  Ever.


There were lots of models walking around in flapper outfits, not totally sure what they had to do with the Casino night theme, but they looked good so who cares!  There were casino games around the room, craps tables, black jack, you name it, they had it.  They had multiple auctions going on, along with raffle prizes including a day on a chartered yacht.  I'm telling you, they go big!


One of the cooler aspects of the night was that the bars were made out of a solid block of ice.  I thought it was pretty cool! 


The room was decorated with red lighting, combined with black and white check dancefloor.  I LOVE black and white check dancefloors - I think they are so awesome.  I was totally impressed with the amount of people who got down on the dance floor.  Ratty was in the middle of 'Sober January', his month of detox from the holidays, and since there was a crazy storm outside, I wasn't much in a drinking/dancing mood.  I did love people watching of course and this place was so perfect for that, as you can imagine.

One of the 'attractions' at the party, if I can call them that, was this group from New York called The Bumbys.  They sat a table with old school typewriters, wearing wigs, hats and masks covering their face.  Their schtick is that they give you a brutally honest opinion of your appearance.  They look you up and down, type their thoughts on these little cards and hand them back to you.  I couldn't work up the guts to have them do it for me, but there was a line down the hall for them.  


The party was really fun, but the snow had me stressing about getting home.  There were snow emergencies all over Boston, and I knew that finding a parking spot near my apartment would be a huge challenge.  Plus, I felt bad for Ratty, my sober accomplice, since there were so many drinks flowing but he couldn't sample any.  It was definitely a fun night regardless!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Em Gee....I could Never stand in front of them...EVER!

    Again ... Glad we are out of that mess of a winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that Bumbys thing sounds like pure torture! I'd probably go in and be like, I can save you the trouble! :)

    ReplyDelete