On Saturday afternoon, I threw on my most patriotic outfit from the Gap and went downtown to Faneuil Hall to meet Ratty to watch the USA vs. England World Cup game. I am sure that by now you realize just how much of a bandwagon fan I am, as I am now supporting 2 sports that I have never even had a glimmer of interest in before this summer. A friend of Rattys' is from Ireland and throws a huge viewing party every year at Hennessey's, a bar that I am now boycotting for the rest of my life, but that is another story for another day.
As I was walking over to the bar, I saw that the gay pride parade had ended and the rally was taking place at Government Center. I took this photo because it was a truly inspirational sight. I was almost brought to tears at the sheer volume of people who were out in the rain, supporting a cause they believed it. I feel a slight pang, wishing that I had been there to support gay rights, but I do, and I think that's what's important.
Being a bleeding heart liberal like I am, I fully support equality for all and believe that gays should have the right to marry. I am obviously in the right state, huh? We allow gay marriage and are socially liberal, yay! USA! I was raised catholic and unless something drastic takes place during my lifetime, I always will be. I understand the idea that marriage is sacred, but I don't think that just because something should be treasured means that only part of our society can have it. People can't pick who they are attracted to, or who they fall in love with, trust me I am sure that we all would like to forget some past loves, but we can't. I think that if you love someone, you should be able to commit yourself to that person for the rest of your life, and be able to enjoy all the rights and privileges of that union. I should be allowed to marry who I want, it isn't the governments business or anyone else's decision to make but mine...and whoever I marry. I don't tell you what to do or who to love, and although I may have my opinions, that shouldn't stop you from living your life. People may not always agree or understand your choices, but I think at the basic level of humanity, we should support equality for all. I think that everyone should be allowed to marry who they want, and that's that. ::Stepping off my soapbox::
Now is when you applaud.








AGREED! Great POTD (picture of the day)
ReplyDelete