101 in 1001 Challenge

Friday, June 25, 2010

62. June 16th, 2010 Picture.

Because my office has a 'use it or lose it' vacation policy, I have quite a few days off for the month of June.  I don't hate it one bit!  Peace out, PMC!  Anywho, since I've been off, I've been reading non-stop.  I just finished 'Practical Magic' by Alice Hoffman, which inspired one of my favorite movies, I mean who doesn't LOVE Sandy Bullock?!  I read 'Practical Magic' at practically lightening speed and was so engrossed in Hoffman's writing that I wanted to jump on her book bandwagon.  I know that PM was written in 1995, but better late than never I say.  I stopped off at the Southie library to see if they had any of her other books, since I was desperate to read more.  Luckily they had quite a few, almost an entire shelf, so I had my pick.  I am typically drawn in by titles, if it sounds interesting, I'll read it.  I am also intrigued by words; I have a lot of favorite words, so I immediately picked up 'Skylight Confessions' because just the word skylight just sounds nice.  Well, after reading the flap, I realized that I wasn't in the mood for its plot, and put it back.  So much for my theory on special words, huh?  Then I picked up 'The Probable Future' and 'The Third Angel'.  After reading both jackets, I decided that these would be my next two Alice Hoffman books.  As I was stacking some books in the shelf and getting my two ready for check out, I just happened to look straight ahead.  There was a window that I don't think I've ever noticed before.  I go to the Southie library all the time, picking up books and returning them, but never noticed that the entire back wall was one giant window.  Once I did look out this window, this is what I saw:



There is a beautiful patio outside that stretches the entire length of the library, complete with grassy areas, trees, benches and chairs.  It looks meticulously maintained, yet completely unused.  I scanned the wall to see where the doors were, and found one at each end of the library.  I could not believe that this great little yard was smack in the city, behind the library, for anyone to use.  

The wheels started turning and I am now wanting to spend an entire day back there.  I assume that I could bring a blanket and sit under a tree, maybe bring a snack, and a stack of books.  Everyone in the library is so consumed with their own literary searches that no one bothers to look up from the shelves.  I could go completely unnoticed out there for hours.  Heck, the entire SPACE has gone completely unnoticed by me for 4 years.  I didn't even know there were windows in the building, let alone a yard!  

Someday soon I will pack a little bag and camp myself out there for as long as they'll let me stay.  

3 comments:

  1. I never knew that was there either, can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete