101 in 1001 Challenge

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

62. June 6th, 2010 Picture.

Sunday afternoon, I made my way to Jamie's house to see the Dorchester Day parade.  I have no idea what exactly the significance of Dot Day is, but they throw a huge parade in its honor.  I parked my car at Jamie's apartment, went upstairs to finish my coffee and bagel and waited for the rest of my friends to arrive.  Once everyone got there, i.e. me, Mark, Jamie, Rachel, Dave, Erin and Cullum, we walked a block over to Tom English's Cottage, a local bar.  The parade goes straight down Dorcester Ave, and this bar offered a front row seat.  On our walk we stopped off at the Clapp Pear, which is just a gigantic bronze pear statue in the middle of an intersection, and took some pictures.  Again, I don't understand the meaning of the Clapp Pear, but it's a great marker when giving directions.  Props to the Boston Police who were walking by and offered to take the picture for us.  So friendly!


Once at Tom English's we hunkered down at a table near the window and ordered a round of beers.  We were there only a few minutes when food got brought out by the owners and we were all ordered to make a plate.  I love Dot Day!  As we were stuffing our faces with salad and little apps, the police cruisers went by to clear the parade way.  I made my way outside with a few others, since this was my first Dot Day I wanted to experience it in full. We parked ourselves on the curb and got ready for the festivities.  Once the parade started, it took 3.5 hours for it to make it's way to us, so needless to say that by the time the marching bands walked by us, there was no energy left to bang their drums.


{Jamie, Dave and I anxiously awaiting the start of the parade.}



{Um, unless this guy is live blogging from the parade, I doubt there is a need to bring your Macbook Air.}



{Jamie and Erin.  Curbside.}



{Didn't even know Boston HAD a dive team.  Makes sense I guess, but I was still impressed and needed a picture.}



{I had to physically restrain Jamie from running out and hugging the Governor.}



{These things scared the hell out of all the little kids around us.  And me.  I went inside when they walked by because they were walking up to people and freaking them out.}



{Then it hurricaned and I blinded the two nice guys standing in the doorway with my flash.  Whoopsies!}

After we waited for the storm to pass, we went back to Jamie and Rachel's to grill a little bit and hang out.  I really enjoyed my first Dot Day and am already looking forward to next year!

1 comment:

  1. I can see why...sounds and looks fun!!! Weird aliens though!

    ReplyDelete