101 in 1001 Challenge

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

62. June 22nd, 2010 Picture.

NStar had been doing work on my little teeny street for what seemed like an eternity.  They dug up the road going the long way, then they dug up the road going the short way, creating a very nice lattice pattern of holes. They shut down the street almost every day, taking up the entire length of the street from sidewalk to sidewalk.  At one point we couldn't leave the house because they were legitimately digging up the sidewalk directly in front of our stairs.  Our power went out more times than I'd like to count, and was concerned for the safety of our perishables in the fridge.  So much so I wrote a note and taped the door shut.  What?  Salmonella terrifies me.  My roommate Bethany woke up one morning to the forman knocking on our door and needing to go into our basement.  Like, I'm sorry, what?  They jackhammered starting at 6:50am every morning and caused us to call and complain on more than one occasion.

One night, towards the end of all their work, I still have no idea what exactly they were doing and whyy it took so long, I had to navigate through a war torn wasteland of metal slabs holding the sidewalks together.  Most people on my street have flower boxes out in front of their house, brightening up our street, but every single one had been moved DIRECTLY into the walking path.  I had to climb over flower bins, gingerly walk across iron slabs and hold my breath as if that would make me less likely to plummet to my death.  To get to my little staircase, which consists of three brick steps, I had to climb OVER the wrought iron banister to get in my front door.  It was like a mine field, or an awful obstacle course where you lose a limb, whether you win or lose.


Thankfully the construction is all done, after a week of all the workers telling me 'today's our last day, are you gonna miss us?'  Absolutely NOT NStar.  I thought my roommate was going to have a nervous breakdown because her room faces the street and was directly above all the construction.  She was sleeping in our spare room on a futon for days, and I think she was one power outage away from coming unhinged.  

2 comments:

  1. yuck...that sounds awful!! So long NStar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't even bother me for the first week, but after almost 3, I was SO done with construction. I wish I knew what the hell they were doing!

    ReplyDelete