101 in 1001 Challenge

Thursday, June 3, 2010

62. May 27th, 2010 Picture.

So anyone who lives in Boston, knows that last week we went through a heat wave.  K, it may not have been an official heat wave, 3 straight days of 90+ degree weather, but it sure as hell FELT LIKE ONE!  I love love love summer and can pretty much deal with any type of heat, humidity, temperature or whatever, as long as there is a beach or pool or lake or large bowl of water for me to dip my toes in.  Sleeping, however, is extremely difficult when your bedroom and core temperature are about 40 degrees higher than outside.  No seriously, my room had to be at least 90, but outside it was a breezy 55!  I don't understand how I can hear the leaves blowing in the wind outside but my curtains are not even moving.  I laid on top of my covers in shorts and a tank top, not moving, only breathing, and still sweating.  Before bed I'd have to take an ice cold shower in an attempt to relax myself into slumber.

Last year I had made it all summer without an AC, only a window fan.  NEVER AGAIN.  My AC had started taking on water 2 years ago, and I couldn't fix it no matter how hard I tried.  I had to take it out of the window on more than one occasion and dumped it upside down in my bathtub because it would shoot sprays of water every time I turned it on.  And when I say I needed to take it out, I mean I had someone else do it for me.  I left that AC in the basement of my last apartment, let someone else deal with it suckas, and told myself I'd invest in a new one when the weather got warm again.  Again, when I mean I'd invest, I mean my mom would buy one for me.  Hi mom!  Love you!  You're the greatest!  Can't wait to go shopping for sundresses tomorrow!

After hearing me moan through the phone about the heat, and how I thought I was starting to hallucinate from dehydration, my mom bought me a new AC.  I went to pick it up at her house and watched her stare in amazement as I picked it up and threw it in my trunk.  She asked who would help me install it and how would I get it into my apartment.  I looked at her and told her I was going to do it.  She asked if Ratty could help me and I told her I was completely capable of carrying this up my stairs and putting it in myself, I'm very independent, and strong.  I did manage to get it out of my car, in the house, and up the spiral staircase to my bedroom.  It sat outside my door for a day or two, until the heat became so miserable that I needed to buckle down and just put it in the stupid window.

Um, it's a lot of work.  I was on the floor, attaching pieces with screws and phillips head screwdrivers,  sweating as if I had just done a triathlon on the surface of the sun.  I put it in the window and turned it on, only to realize I had forgotten to attach the little accordion things that go on the sides.  I had to take it out, put it back on the floor and get back on my hands and knees and screw in 8 teeny tiny eenie weenie screws while panting and cursing global warming.  I FINALLY finished, put it back in the window, and screwed it to the window frame.  This ain't going nowhere.  I turned it on high, took the coldest shower known to man, then came back in, put on a sweatshirt and got under my down comforter.  I love summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment