101 in 1001 Challenge

Thursday, June 10, 2010

62. June 4th, 2010 Picture.

My office internet is currently down, so I am writing this post in a word document because I A) can’t get on the internet and B) can’t do anything because said internet is down.  How am I supposed to check my email?  And GChat?  And check Facebook?  And Twitter?  And play Sorority Life?  And Bejeweled Blitz?  And read Perez Hilton, People, Boston.com, Barstool Sports, Texts From Last Night, F My Life,  and all the other websites I read when trying to avoid actual work?  I can’t even return messages because I can’t look up the information people were calling to ask about.  This, is going to be an awesome day.  Happy Thursday!

Last Friday, during my impromptu vacation, I convinced my mom that we should spend the day together.  And when I say convinced, I mean that when I suggested it to my mom she completely rearranged her schedule and cancelled all her plans.  I wanted to go to Scituate, which is the adorable little seaside town on the South Shore where my mom had a summer house growing up.  Some of my family still lives down there, my uncle year round and my aunt has a summer house a few streets over.  One of my best friends from high school, Maura, also has a summer house down on Peggoty Beach, so needless to say , I’ve spent a lot of time down there.  This is also where our famous Downey Family Labor Day Parade Party takes place each year.  So, ya, Scituate is awesome.

We decided to start the day off with a stop at Derby Street in Hingham, which is just a great outdoor shopping area with a lot of fabulous stores.  I had mentioned to my mom that I was in need of some summery sundresses, so that became the mission of the morning.  My mom picked me up in Southie at 10am, I did however walk to the closest Dunkin Donuts so my mom could get off the highway and make zero turns, therefore lessening the chance that she’d get lost.  Our plans had taken on a few versions during the short planning sessions and originally we were going to stop off at my brother Eddie’s house for coffee.  Then that plan changed and he was going to meet us for lunch at the Summer Shack  with my niece Abby.  Then plans changed again and my mom and I were just going to go to lunch on our own.  I was sad that I wasn’t going to see my cute little sweetie pie Abs, so I mayyy have pouted.  And stomped a foot.  Or two. 

We stopped in the Gap, Banana, Victoria’s Secret, 344, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Coldwater Creek (for the mom),  and finally American Eagle Outfitters, where I am sad/happy to say I bought the most stuff.  I was kinda shocked, considering the store is made for 14 year olds, but I loved everything in there.  I’m even wearing a shirt today that I got from AE Outfitters.  Ya, who would have thought?

After some shopping, my mom and I decided that it was time to grab some food.  We moved the car closer to the restaurant, i.e. 2 rows over, and started walking towards the front door.  That is when I see the cutest, teeny tiniest, adorable little face jumping up and down in front of the restaurant.  Then I look beside her and I see my brother, waving his arms frantically, like we might miss them.  Abby and Eddie had decided to go for lunch at the Summer Shack, totally unplanned!  Abigail came running over to me and starting talking a mile a minute about how she was drinking water and that she ordered a hot dog and that she was eating corn bread, all in between giving me giant squeezes.  Eddie and Abby grabbed their drinks, and we all moved to a new table for 4.  Abs and I spent a good amount of time coloring and chatting, which really means I just listened to her babble on while I tried to pick up key words I could repeat and acknowledge.  She tried some of my lemonade at one point and pretty much refused to stop drinking, she wanted the straw to her lips every single second we were there, so obviously being a doting aunt, I needed to oblige.  


After lunch we made our way down to Scituate to do a little MORE shopping.  They have an adorable harbor, with lots of cute little shops, so I love to walk around, popping into the little stores and seeing what they have.  We made our usual stops at the Quarterdeck, where I grabbed some starfish that I needed for my windows, Joye, where I got an AMAZING wooden sign that was pretty much written for me (photo below), then Out of The Blue, Sylvia's By The Sea, a little antique store whose name I've never known and finally the liquor store to grab some wine to bring to my uncles.  We make it to my aunt and uncle's house around 5pm, and sat outside in my aunt's beautiful garden, sipping wine and eating chips and dip.  My uncle came home from the gym and cracked open a few Sam's and joined us.  Starting around 7:30pm my mom started saying 'Amy, we should get going soon.'  Both of us thought that we had a memorial mass for my uncle at 8am the next morning, so we wanted to get home at a decent time.  During conversations, we realize that the mass wasn't the 5th, but rather the 12th.  Well, you'd have thought it was Christmas morning, we were both so excited we didn't have to wake up early the next day.  So excited in fact, that I started drinking more wine.  We ended up staying at my Aunt's house until almost 11pm, and I was tipsy to say the least.  Thankfully my mom was driving me back to Southie!

So among my purchases was this fantastic wooden sign that seems as though it was written for me.  While standing in line at Joye I stopped talking mid-sentence and started reading.  My mom asked what I was looking at and when she read the sign she said I had to have it.  I took this photo with my camera, so that is why the quality isn't great and it's small.



{This is how my day went.  I woke up in the blue bedroom, looking at the cracked ceiling.  Then I dressed in a hurry and snuck out the side door and walked into town.  I stopped by the new cafe and drank a bowl size cup of coffee.  I walked in the warm sand down by the beach.  Early in the morning it was quiet there.  I laid out my towel and looked at my feet that were tan and pretty against the crashing waves.  The seagulls watched me, but only for the possibility of food.  My hair whipped my face.  I sat up to read the book I brought with me.  It was a perfect day.}




No comments:

Post a Comment